Hawthorn Hedges and Hedging Plants for sale.A number of species are includeed in the general catagory of Hawthorn including, Crataegus monogyna Crataegus laevigata, and Crataegus oxyacantha hedges
Crataegus monogyna or common Hawthorn, Crataegus laevigata or 'Midland Hawthorn' Tree and Crataegus oxyacantha are all grown widely as hedge plants. Hawthorn trees or bushes are deciduous and have glossy green foliage nice white flowers followed by red berries.
This is a fast growing plant that tolerates wet soils more than many others and is very useful in these conditions. It does have sharp thorns, which can be a nuisence when gardening or a blessing if it is used as a barrier.
Planting Hawthorn Hedges
Hawthorn hedges are best planted in late winter to spring. If you are buying bare rooted plants give the roots a soak in a diluted seaweed solution for 30 minutes before planting. For good results never let the roots dry out.
- Plant at a distance of around 30cm apart and water in well with the liquid seaweed.
- We like to stake young plants until they reach 2 years, this prevents them being knocked over and keeps them upright.
- Mulch around the plants and water regularly through the spring and summer (depending on rainfall).
- Keep well weeded during establishment
Pruning Hawthorn Hedges
With Hawthorn we suggest pruning back immediatly after planting, take 1/3 of the plants.
- Crataegus laevigata 'Pauls Scarlet' and 'Crimson Cloud are two red flowering Hawthorn Trees,'Pauls' scarlet having double flowers.
- Crataegus monogyna is widely used as a hedging plant, the sharp thorns make an ideal barrier to animals and humans alike.
- Crataegus Monogyna Stricta is a more upright form.
Hawthorn Hedges for sale in the UK
HEDGES DIRECT Ltd - Phone 01257 263873
Five Acres Nursery Dawbers Lane Euxton PR7 6EE
Huge range of beautiful hedging plants, bare root, cell grown, pot grown, or root balled. All the main hedging species in all sizes. Thousands of satisfied customers. Discounts on large orders. Min order value £20 & FREE DELIVERY on orders over £50. Advice by phone or email email@example.com
BEST 4 HEDGING Ltd
269 Southport Road, Leyland PR26 8LQ Tel 01257 261243
Buy Direct from the Growers - FREE delivery over ¬£50.
Huge discounts on orders over £300. Privet, Yew, Escallonia, Griselinia, Laurel, Beech, Hawthorn, Box, Hornbeam, Lavender, Holly, Lonicera, Photinia, Thuja and many others - plants from 30cm to 3m plus.
You ma y also be interested in :
- Carpinus (Hornbeam)
- Hawthorn Trees
- Ilex (holly)
- Laurel Prunus laurocerasus rotundifolia
- Ligustrum (Privet)
- Taxus (Yew)
- Taxus baccata 'Aurea'
- Thuja occidentals smaragd