Lavender varieties are one of the most popular low growing evergreen plants and are widely used for mass planting in gardens. Grown both for the foliage and fragranceof the flowers as well as harvested, with so many cultivars now available for sale, the colours and flower forms are endless.
Spreading from a single plant it readily sends up numerous stems and this can be increased by judicious pruning.
Foliage turns from a nice grey when new to a greener colour and lasts well through winter.
The tall flower spikes are the floral attraction, highly perfumed and attractive to bees and birds alike. Flowers do differ according to cultivar but they are carried on a clean tall stem. Flowering time is late spring through to summer.
Plant Lavender in early spring once the frosts are over and the soil has commenced to warm up. Remember that English Lavender is a little tougher than some of the other varieties.
Popular species and cultivars
Lavender has over 30 species and hundreds of cultivars, species for the home garden include.
- Lavandula angustifolia
- Lavendula x. intermedia or Lavandin
- Lavandula Stoechas
- Lavandula canariensis
- Lavandula dentata
It is easier than ever to compare and buy lavender online French or Spanish (Lavandula stoechas) Lavender x intermedia (Dutch Lavender and of course the ever popular and hardy English (Lavandula.angustifolia) plants along w ith many cultivars can all be ordered online.
- L. angustifolia 'Nana Alba' A low growing form with white flowers and attractive silver foliage. (30-38 cm)
- L. angustifolia 'Munstead' Another low growing variety flowers are the bluest of all. (50 cm) Named after Mustead Woods the home and garden of Gertrude Jeckyl and icludes Munstead Dwarf and Munstead Blue.
- L. angustifolia 'Hidcote' Excellent for low hedges as it has a slow growth rate. Deep purple flowers and attractive foliage. (60-70 m).
- L. angustifolia 'Imperial Gem' compact and well suited as a hedging plant.
- L. angustifolia 'Edelweiss' or White English Lavender is a great addition to border and works well planted in clumps.
Lavender requires a sunny position and a humus rich well drained soil. Origianally from the Mediteranean Lavander is a tough plant given plenty of sun.
Prune lavender after flowering, but leave enough foliage to help it survive.
Try cutting back by no more than 1/3. In areas where cold conditions cause die back wait until plants begin to re shoot before pruning. Prune plants when young to encourage strong dense growth. Full details on Pruning Lavender
Some of the best Lavender varieties include :
- Lavender 'Twickle purple' Sweet scented cultivar of Lavandula angustifolia reaching 45cm (1.5') a compact form.
- Lavender Richard Grey (Lavandula lanata x angustifolia) Reaching 60cm (2') with blue/purple flowers a compact form
- Lavender Grosso ( Lavandula intermedia) Reaching 90cm (3') and a vigorous growing cultivar
- Lavender Bowles Early (L. angustifolia) Reaching 60cm (2') a compact Lavander, dark blue/purple flowers with a strong perfume.
Lavender Plant are available for sale frome these suppliers in the UK
BEST 4 HEDGING Ltd
269 Southport Road, Leyland PR26 8LQ Tel 01257 261243
FREE delivery over £50. Huge discounts on orders over£300. Privet, Yew, Escallonia, Griselinia, Laurel, Beech, Hawthorn, Box, Hornbeam, Lavender, Holly, Lonicera, Photinia, Thuja and many others - from 30cm to 3m plus.
HEDGES DIRECT Ltd - Phone 01257 263873
Five Acres Nursery Dawbers Lane Euxton PR7 6EE
Huge range of beautiful hedging plants, bare root, cell grown, pot grown, or root balled. All the main hedging species in all sizes. Thousands of satisfied customers. Discounts on large orders. Min order value £20 & FREE DELIVERY on orders over £50. Advice by phone or email email@example.com
MOUNT FOLLY NURSERIES
Southwick Road North Boarhunt Near Wickham Hants PO17 6JH
Hotline Phone : 01329 832294 : 07000 M-O-U-N-T-F : 07000 F-U-C-H-S-I-A
Young plants specialists. Growing Fuchsias, Geraniums, Patio Plants and Plug Plants. One of the best selections available in the UK direct from the grower!
FAIRWEATHER'S - Tel: 01590 612113
High Street, Beaulieu, Hampshire, SO42 7Y
Large range of Evergreen, Deciduous and Semi evergreen Agapanthus
FIR TREE FARM NURSERY
Tresahor Constantine Falmouth Cornwall TR11 5PL
Tel : 01326 340593
Plas y Maes Trawsmawr Carmarthen SA33 6NH
Phone 01267 281031
Terrington, York, YO60 6PB
01653 648 008