Fagus 'Beech Trees' - Wholesale Nurseries
Wholesale Nurseries sell a wide range of Fagus or 'Beech Trees' including the very popular Fagus sylvatica or 'Green Beech. Used as a fast growing and compact hedge it is easily pruned and is popular with landscapers, developers, local councils and garden centers.
However Fagus sylvatica can also be grown as a feature tree, excellent as a specimen tree in a large lawn. Dwarf varieties are also available, some suited for use as border plants reaching only 2 m or so after 20 years.
If you are looking for a majestic 'landmark tree' then Fagus sylvatica purpurea, commonly called the 'Copper Beech' is a standout. Slow growing, however capable of reaching over 60m in height with a trunk of over 1.m across. Purple to copper foliage and a spreading crown, that turns to a true copper color in autumn.
It is essential to realize that field grown Fagus should be purchased in containers or root balled. Reputable wholesale growers will sell them this way and not bare rooted.
Besides the popular Green Beech other Fagus varieties are also available including.
- Fagus sylvatica riversii - Very similar to F. atropurpurea however with darker purple foliage
- Fagus sylvatica dawyck 'purple' is an upright or 'fastigate' cultivar, excellent for smaller spaces or to line a driveway. Reaches around 3 - 4 m in height with good purple foliage
- Fagus sylvatica dawyck 'gold' is similar to the above however with good golden foliage.
- Fagus sylvatica 'red obelisk' is another upright tree, foliage tends to a crimson purple.
- Fagus sylvatica purpurea pendula is a wonderful small tree with weeping foliage.
- Fagus sylvatica rotundifolia is lower growing with a very rounded form, another excellent feature tree for a large garden or park.
Wholesale Fagus varieties are available for sale from the following Wholesale Growers
P DAVIS NURSERIES
Moor Lane Westfield Woking Surrey GU22 9RB UK
phone: 01483 722521 fax: 01483 756915
Includes: alpines, conifers, camellias, heathers, hederas, acers, rhododendrons, pieris, bamboo, climbers, herbaceous plants, ferns, grasses, hedging, waterside plants, ground cover plants