Eucalyptus Trees, Species and Varieties
A few Eucalyptus trees do make good garden trees in the UK. These are usually the smaller growing types. Some also take well to hard pruning and some can be coppice.
The flowering types are beautiful, however may Eucalypts can simply be grown for the foliage.
A few facts to consider when buying a eucalyptus tree in the UK include the final height, care requirements, soil conditions and pruning.
Sounds like they may be difficult to grow, but far from it if you choose the right species and variety (cultivar) for right position.
In the UK eucalyptus are grown for the attractive foliage as well as the wonderful trunks, especially the smaller growing species.
- Eucalyptus gunnii is one of these, and even with this one some smaller growing varieties that will reach around 12ft (2.5m) are available.
- Eucalyptus pauciflora or the 'Snow Gum' is another smaller tree with fascinating twisted trunk and it handles the coldest conditions.
If you have chosen the right type, planting is the main care aspect.
- Well drained soil is essential.
- Full sun to very light shade
- Young plants should be chosen as they are easiar to establish and are fasy growing anyway. Look for plants that are no more than 1m (3ft) tall.
- Plants should be staked to keep the root system still until the plant is well settled in. If the plant is allowed to rock in the wind root development will be delayed.
- Do not use fertilizer.
Eucalyptus Trees for sale online
CHEW VALLEY TREES - tel: 01275 333 752
Winford Road Chew Magna Bristol BS40 8HJ
Includes: eucalyptus archeri, eucalyptus cordata, eucalyptus nicholii and others.
MILL HOUSE FARM - tel 01254 248175
Longsight Rd, Copster Green, Blackburn, BB1 9EU.
Specialising in azaleas, maples, rhododendrons and eucalyptus together with a wide range of other rarities.
More Hedging Plants for the UK including a wide range of hedging styles suitable for hedges in almost any situation, hedging plants include low and tall growing plants, hedging plants for shade and sun as well as flowering, fast growing and slow growing hedges.
- Carpinus (Hornbeam)
- Hawthorn Trees
- Ilex (holly)
- Laurel Prunus laurocerasus rotu ndifolia
- Ligustrum (Privet)
- Taxus (Yew)