Bare Root Roses
Sold during winter when rose plants are dormant, bare root roses can be ordered by mail order ensuring that you have access to the widest range of new release roses.
So which should you buy,the bare root or the potted ?
The biggest advantage of buying bare root roses is variety available. The disadvantage is that bare root roses are a little more difficult to get through the first summer.
They must be planted immediately and with proper care will be ready to flower in spring. We provide a guide to Bare root roses and bare rooted rose suppliers.
Planting Bare Root Roses
On arrival it is essential that you immediately 'unpack' your new roses and check for damage. If the rose is badly damaged, send it back
- Any minor damage such as small broken canes or roots should be trimmed with sharp sterile secateurs.
- We tend to soak our bare root roses for 2 hours and then plant immediately. Others recommend to Re hydrate the roots by soaking overnight in of water or better still a mild solution of seaweed fertilizer.
- Prepare your planting hole by digging twice as wide and deep as required and then form a mound in the center of the hole to support the plant at the right level. This gives the roots a good chance to grow down into the ground. If the soil is poor you may wish to dig in some well rotted manure or compost, this is not usually required.
- If you are planning to use a stake to support the rose, place this in the ground now, before the rose, this avoids root damage.
- Place the rose on top of the mound, back fill the hole, tie the rose to the support and water in well using a mild solution of seaweed fertilizer.
Bare Root Roses are available for sale online from the following growers
COUNTRY GARDEN ROSES Tel: 01939 210 380
The Country Garden Plant Centre Hadnall Shrewsbury Shropshire SY4 3DH
We stock the largest selection of Potted Roses in the country. Over 1000 varieties. 30,000 roses in stock.
Roses for every Special Occasion.
GANDYS ROSES LTD - phone: 01858 880398 fax: 01858 880433
North Kilworth,Lutterworth,LEICS.LE17 6HZ.
Growers of approximately 600 varieties of England's Finest Roses . Also available aloe, shrubs,climbing plants and top and soft fruit.
You may also be interested in