A large group of ferns often called 'wood ferns' however Dryopteris Ferns are also shield fern and autumn fern depending on the species and country.
The autumn fern reference is applied to Dryopteris erythrosora and comes from the color of the new foliage, coppery red, the shades of autumn, however the color appears in spring not autumn.
In the UK this is usually a deciduous fern due to the frosts and cold, in warmer climates it is evergreen.
Dryopteris Fern Species
- Dryopteris marginalis is one of the 'wood ferns', excellent in any woodland situation it loves a damp situation, but not really deep shade.
- With its arching habit and pink to orange autumn foliage Dryopteris erythrosora varries a number of common names, autumn fern, jaoanese sheild fern, pink shield fern.
- Dryopteris filix-mas grows well in shaded positions and will make itself at home in a rock wall as well, long arching foliage and really easy care.
- Dryopteris crispa is another useful fern for woodland or other shaded situations, wonderful textured foliage
- If you can find Dryopteris affinis 'Crispa Gracilis' you will have one of the best dwarf ferns for a shaded position in the rock garden.
- Dryopteris wallichiana with its bright green new foliage growing to nearly 80cm is a favorite.
- Other species include: Dryopteris affinis, Dryopteris carthusiana, Dryopteris championii, Dryopteris clintoniana, Dryopteris dilatata.
Look for Dryopteris dilatata 'Lepidota Crispa Cristata'
Available for sale from the following growers
LONG ACRE PLANTS - Tel 01963 32802
South Marsh, Charlton Musgrove. Wincanton, Somerset, BA9 8EX
A large range of unusual perennials, bulbs and ferns in any semi- or fully shaded position in the garden, grown here in Somerset using peat free compost.
You may also be interested in :
- Pleione Orchids
- Dactylorhiza Orchids - Marsh Orchids
- Cypripedium Orchids
- Bletilla Orchids
- Ophrys Orchids
- General Orchids
- Cymbidium Orchids