Miscanthus are a varied group of ornamental grasses or clump forming perennial which are popular for both landscaping purposes, in the garden border and as a feature plant in pots or containers.
Miscanthus sinensis 'Gracillimus' is widely used.
- Miscanthus sinensis 'Morning Light' (Japanese Silver Grass) is an improved form of Miscanthus sinensis Gracillimus, the foliage having a silvery appearance.
- Miscanthus Adagio grows to only 65 - 85 cm and is useful if you are looking for a dwarf form.
- Miscanthus sinesis condensatus grows to 1.5m and with its green and white variegated strap like foliage adds good color to the border.
- Miscanthus giganteus (elephant grass) will grow to nearly 4m in the right conditions and is used to supply biomass to the renewable energy sector.
- Miscanthus malepertus, Miscanthus sinensis 'sirene', Miscanthus Yaku Jima, Miscanthus Yakushima (dwarf), Miscanthus Hinjo, and Miscanthus sinensis 'kleine silerspinne' are other forms worth looking for.
Miscanthus is avalaible for sale from the following nurseries
PENLAN PERENNIALS - Tel/Fax 01239 84226
Wern Rhos Newchapel Boncath SA37 0EN 0
Retail, Mail Order Specialists, Peat Free, Organic, Aquatic, Marginal and Bog Plants, Waterlilies, Hardy Geraniums, Ferns, Grasses, Shade & Woodland Perennials.
BLUEBELL ARBORETUM and NURSERY Office telephone: *(01530) 413700.
Annwell Lane Smisby nr. Ashby de la Zouch Derbyshire LE65 2TA Owner: Robert and Suzy Vernon.
Includes: Miscanthus sacchariflorus and Miscanthus sinensis.