Available for sale as potted plants or as leaf cutting African Violets, 'Saintpaulia' are relatively easy to grow and are a popular indoor plant, hundred of varieties are often found for sale at plant fairs in the UK.
Pictured right we have the 'Geneva Edged' Variety, this refers to the colour on the edge of the flower itself.
We provide a guide to propagating and growing african violets from cuttings. Links to mail order and specialist Nurseries and photographs of some of our favorite African Violets.
African Violet Varieties
African violets are classified by growth habit, leaf type and flower types, these include :
These are the small plants that will will only reach 15cm in diameter, these are candidates for a very small pot
Very attractive as they tumble down over the edge of the pot, excellent in hanging baskets
- Standard types
The most commonly grown that will reach around 30cm in diameter as a mature plant
- The Girl Type
These have scalloped edges on the leaves with a white spot. And yes the standard green leaf is the 'Boy Type'. These are named after two famous early cultivars, you guessed it 'Blue Girl' and Blue Boy'
- Wavy Leafed
The foliage is wavy on the edges
Simply variegated foliage green with yellow, of white
- Red Reverse
The foliage is green on the top side and a very deep red beneath
- Single, double, semi double, bi colour and a lot more
Propagation of A frican Violets from Leaf Cuttings
African violets are easy to propagate from leaf cuttings.
- Make sure the plant you wish to take cuttings from is healthy and not under stress.
- Remember that they do like to be well watered.
- Remove the african violet leaf with stem attached.
- Fill a small pot with a free draining yet water retentive mixture such as 50% peat and 50% vermiculate. Place the stem in the potting mix and water well.
- Keep foliage dry by watering with a long necked watering can that can reach under the foliage.
- Keep in indirect light for 1 - 2 months.
You may also be interested in:
African Violets are available for sale from the following growers.
Stanley Mossops achimene rhizomes are once again for sale. Also selling: kohlerias, african violets, streptocarpus and smithianthas