Wholesale Redcurrant Plants
The Redcurrant is Ribes sativum, the fruit is widely used when dried in cooking, when fresh for jams, preserves, pies as well as eaten fresh.
These plants grow as a bush, commercially planted in rows, however equally at home in the garden or allotment. Easier to grow than Blackcurrants they also require less moisture, so a well drained soil is essential.
Masses of translucent red berries inspring to summer.
These are a bushy plant so need a little room, they will also need support and the ability to be netted to protect them from birds. They fruit on old wood as well as new.
- Prepare soil by digging over well and removing all weeds.
- Plants should be at least 4- 5 ft apart for easy picking and good air flow.
- Best purchased as bare root plants in winter. Plant before March.
- Water in well using a liquid seaweed fertilizer.
- Mulch to keep weed free.
- Use a neting system or a fruit cage to protect from birds.
Consider using a 'Cordon' training system to improve fruit size, quality, crop size and ease of harvest. Also saves space.
Harvest using seceatures to cut a bunch at a time, or use a fruit rake to rake them into a bucket.
Redcurrant Varieties include :
- 'Red Lake' -- Very juicy, fruit in long trusses make it easy to harvest.
- 'Rovova' - Highest yeilding and most commonly grown, also later than some others.
- Redstart - A later variety more suited to areas subject to frost.
- 'Junifer' - From France, crops on both 1 and 2 year old wood, excellent quantities of fruit.
- 'Laxtons No 1'
- 'Stanza' - a smaller bush more suited to allotments and small gardens.
- 'Jonkeer van Tets' - Mid season and good disease resistance.
Wholesale Redcurrant Plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
TALATON PLANTS (incorporating Adam's Cherrys)
Egremont Barn Payhembury Honiton Devon EX14 3JA
phone: 01404 841166
Includes: Cherry trees, Plums and soft fruits.
Buck St, Challock, Allford, Kent TN25 4DG
phone ; 01233 740529
WALCOT ORGANIC NURSERY
Lower Walcot Farm, Walcot Lane, Drakes Broughton, Pershore,
Worcestersh ire. WR10 2AL.
phone: 01905 841587
Includes: Cherrys, Plums & Damsons, Pears, Quinces, Cherries, Crab Cherrys, Fruit Bushes