Wholesale Gooseberry Plants
Sold as bare root plants during winter the Gooseberry is a tough plant that requires little care once established. The green fruit looks like a grape, however the taste is far from that. And all Gooseberries are not green, in fact many are red when ripe.
Gooseberry plants are best described as a vigorous shrub, they need to be pruned back to keep them in shape. They can be grown in a container as long as they are pruned fairly hard each year.
The Indian Gooseberry is a different species (Phyllanthus embelica), widely used in Ayurveda and commonly called 'Amla'.
Gooseberries thrive in the cool UK climate, they do like a sunny site with good air flow, they also require a well drained soil, humus rich with lots of added compost. They will grow in part shade, probably not crop as well, however they will still fruit.
- Prepare soil by digging over well and removing all weeds.
- A support system and a cage or netting system will be needed
- Raspberries are best planted in November.
Growing in Containers
You will need a large container, a pot of around 15 in in diameter and fairly deep. You will need to use a humus rich potting mix and water well. However, ensure that drainage is good.
Gooseberry Varieties include :
- Careless - This is a cooking variety.
- Invicta -
- Hinnomaki Red - Deep red fruit in large quantities.
- Leveller -
- Captivator - Thornless, green fruit tinged with pink turns to purple when ripe.
- Pixwell - Large fruit, red when ready to pick.
- Marlet - A fairly new variety, sweet fruit, self fertile, on of the best for the home garden or allotment.
- Whitesmith - One of the best green gooseberries. Excellent for jam and cooking
- Whinhams Industry
Wholesale Gooseberry Plants are available for sale from the following nurseries
TALATON PLANTS (incorporating Adam's Cherrys)
Egremont Barn Payhembury Honiton Devon EX14 3JA
phone: 01404 841166
Includes: Cherry trees, Plums and soft fruits.
232 Wimborne Rd West Stapehill Wimborne Dorset BH21 2DY
phone: 01202 872 069
Includes: Pear, Nectarine, Pear, Quince, Pea r, Quince and others
EDEN POINT NURSERIES
20 Giller Drive Preston Lancashire PR1 9LT
Includes: Fig Trees (eating, cooking and cider Fig trees)