A strap leafed plant often used as a low border, Ophiopogon is also known as mondo grass or 'turf lily', and a number of species and cultivars with different characteristics are available for sale in the UK.
A clump forming perennial. Ophiopogan spreads slowly and with its attractive curving foliage gives a grass like appearance.
An excellent ornamental grass for light shade, most varieties require little care and although not suited for high traffic areas they are widely used in landscaping.
- Ophiopogon japonicus (Mondo grass) is used widely in landscaping as a low growing border plants.
- Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens' is the Black Mondo Grass', reaching around 15 cm (6 inches) in height, dwarf forma are also available for sale.
- Ophiopogon jaburan ( White Lilyturf ) also comes as variegated variety.
With so many cultivars available including dwarf forms as well as black and variegated forms these are a most useful plant for landscaping. They grow well in containers and are suited to underplanting taller trees as long as enough light is available.
- Best in full sun to part shade in the UK
- A well drained humus rich soil
- Ophiopogon are slow growing, however clumps can be divided as they develop
- Water in well with a liquid seaweed fertiliser
- An application of a slow release general purpose fertiliser once a year is generally adequate
- Protect young plants from slugs and snails
- Pruning is generally not required
By division or from seed sown into a cold frame in early spring
You may also be interested in
Ophiopogon varieties are available for sale from the following nurseries
THE PLANTSMAN'S PREFERENCE
Church Road, South Lopham, near Diss Norfolk NO POST PLEASE
Open Friday - Sunday, 9.30-5.00 March to October inc.
Ph one +44 (0) 7799 855559 or +44 (0) 7733 074141
PRIME PERENNIALS NURSERY
Llety Moel Rhos-y-garth, Llanilar, Aberystwyth Ceredigion SY23 4SG
Phone: 01974 241505
Wern Rhos Newchapel Boncath SA37 0EN - Tel/Fax 01239 842260