It is not often that Palm Trees are considered as a number once choice for the garden in the UK. However a number of species are cold tolerant, and in the right position a palm tree can certainly add a tropical look to our cold climate.
Some species are good for coastal locations in the warmer south including what we commonly call the Cabbage Palm (Cordyline Australia) and although it is not really a palm tree as such it can provide an exotic look to the landscape.
Best Palm Trees for the UK
- The Chusan Palm or Trachycarpus fortunei is perhaps the hardiest of all and will cope with the cold. Although maybe not the Northern cold.
- The smaller growing relative, the Miniature Chusan Palm(Trachycarpus wagnerianus)
- The Mediterranean Fan Palm is small growing, well suited to a container.
- Others that will grow in the UK if you can move them to a greenhouse in winter, or perhaps fleece them include the Jelly Palm or Butia capitata.
- And of course we have those sheltered gardens in the south, you could try the Dwarf palmetto palm ( Sabal minor) or Washingtonia robusta.
Many of these are grown indoors, they grace our shopping malls and office buildings. However if you are considering growing palm trees outdoors in the UK, then seek a little local expert advice first.
Palm trees are available for sale at the following nurseries
GRASSLANDS NURSERY- Phone: 01565 722836, Fax: 01565 723954
Free Green Lane, Peover Superior, Knustford, Cheshire, WA16 9QY
Bamboos, climbers, conifers, ferns, grasses, hedging, palms, perennials, shrubs, trees, topiary shapes and much more. The best quality, masses of choice at unbeatable prices. Nationwide delivery available. Retail and trade welcome
AMULREE EXOTICS - Phone: 01508488101
The turnpike, Norwich road, Fundenhall, Norwich, Norfolk NR161EL
Specialist nursery supplying hardy,half-hardy and conservatory plants including Palms,Tree ferns, Succulents, Bamboo, Aroids, Banana's, Canna, Gingers, Grasses,Trees Shrubs, Climbers & Herbaceous perennials, something for everyone!
Includes: Bismarkia, Butia, Dypsis, Livstonia, Rhapsis, Sable and others.
CREATIVE PLANTS - Tel: 01404 850163
Lashbrook Farmhouse, Talaton, Devon EX5 2RU
We are a specialist nursery in Devon growing mediterranean plants, tropical plants, and exotics such as palms, olive trees up to 80 years old, wisteria, and topiary. mail order or visit us wholesale enquires welcomed